Length of Course: 70 hours
Certification: WorkSafe BC
Valid: 3 years
- Be at least 19 years of age
- Government Issued Photo I.D.
- Complete the pre-course homework assignments before entering the class on the first day
- Wear modest clothing (no tanks) for working in close contact with other students
- Wear socks
- Be medically and physically apt to perform floor-work and first aid related activities
- Recommended: complete a Level One First Aid or equivalent ticket, as well as a Transportation Endorsement.
Occupational First Aid Level 3 (OFA 3) is a 70 hour (excluding breaks) program designed for remote worksites or employers with large workforces more than 20 minutes from medical aid. Successful participants will be qualified to work as a WorkSafeBC OFA Level 3 first aid attendant. Initial certification requires full participation and course attendance plus successful completion of both written and practical exams (held on an additional day). OFA Level 3 meets the requirements for the Canada Labour Code (Advanced First Aid) and the Alberta Human Services OH&S Policy (Advanced First Aid).
Topics covered include:
- human anatomy and physiology
- priority action approach and secondary survey for conscious patients and patients with a decreased level of consciousness and for patients in the first aid room
- first aid and documentation for soft tissue injuries, eye injuries, burns, and ligament & tendon injuries
- first aid for:
- head, brain, and spinal injuries
- pelvic and abdominal injuries
- medical conditions including diabetic emergencies and asthma
- poisoning and substance abuse
- oxygen therapy equipment and oral airways
- patients with spinal considerations and preparing them for transport including the application of hard collars
- identify and manage:
- critical interventions of the airway including the use of suction equipment
- respiratory emergencies
- circulatory emergencies (shock, bleeding, heart conditions – CPR with AED)
- upper and lower limb fractures and dislocations
- electrical injuries and environmental injuries
- strokes and seizures
- identify common communicable diseases, routes of transmission, and prevention of infection
- preparing and managing rapid transport category (RTC) patients for transport (supine and lateral); identifying methods of transportation for injured workers and factors used to make transport decisions
- multiple casualty management
OFA Level 3 Student Manual Policy This “best practice” policy requires all would be OFA3 students to purchase their WorkSafeBC Student First Aid Manuals directly from Alpha Training Solutions Ltd, prior to the course starting date to ensure unnecessary student/instructor problems that occurs due to incomplete or outdated student manuals obtained elsewhere. We are diligent in providing our students the latest version of the WorkSafeBC OFA Level 3 First Aid manuals ensuring compliance with all the provider course requirements, ensuring students the best possible learning outcomes in this very fast paced course. OFA Level 3 First Aid manuals purchased from Alpha Training Solutions may only be re-used by the original student for re-examination purposes, no more than (6) six months after the course date. The cost of the manual is included in the price.
Cancellation Policy – OFA Level 3:
This course requires a cancellation notice of at least 10 business days. The fee is “NON-REFUNDABLE” once the cancelation period expires. Student manuals for this course are also non-refundable once they’ve been received by the student.
OFA Level 3 - Mar. 06 - 17
March 6, 2023 - March 17, 2023
8:00 am - 5:00 pm